If you've ever rendered fat before, then you know what a messy and time consuming task it can be. If you've ever met me, then you know that I am not a fan of either attributes. Fortunately, I've managed to avoid both issues when I rendered both tallow (beef fat) and lard (pig fat) in my Instant Pot. It took all of an hour and there was no mess, no stirring to be sure nothing burned. It was pretty awesome. When I was finished, I jarred up the lard to be used for frying and the tallow for future batches of lotion (recipe coming soon).
Here is what you need:
*Lard or Tallow
*Instant Pot (I have this model)
*Paper towels or cloth
*Wooden spoon for stirring
Here is how you do it:
1. Cut fat into small chunks
2. Place cut up fat and 1/4 cup water into Instant Pot
3. Close lid, making sure floating stopper is sealed.
4. Using the manual button, set the timer to 60 minutes
5. Do something relaxing or fun for the next hour or so
6. Allow liquid fat to cool and pressure to release on its own
7. Strain out remaining chunks with strainer, and jar the liquid fat
8. If dealing with lard, return chunks (cracklins) to the Instant Pot, press the sauté button, and fry them up.
9. When crackins are browned, remove and place on a paper towel lined plate.
10. Salt to your liking and store in the fridge (if you have any left).